"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Here...

The room was full of no more than 60 people, 44 of us students, the rest the faculty and staff. All of us wearing long sleeve t-shirts identifying us with Focus Leadership Institute. As the man speaking was welcoming us as the forty somethingest class, I kept looking around. “I’m here” I’d think to myself, and then it hit me I. Am. Here. I’m not sure how long I’ve been dreaming of this moment, but I can tell ya, it’s been a long time coming. This has been where I’ve wanted to be for years, my two years at college were merely a necessity to bide my time and rake up enough credits to be here. When people would ask that inevitable question that comes to my peers “so, where are you going to school?” my answer would be Focus On the Family’s Leadership Institute. Of course I would often be met with blank stares and I would have to explain further. But, this is where I have felt God leading my life for a long time, and after this? No idea, don’t care. I know to some people that may sound fool hearty and stupid, it may seem like that’s just my immaturity speaking, and I don’t really know anything about real life. That last part is true anyway, I don’t know anything about “real life”, in fact, I don’t think any of us do, we may pretend to, but truly, what makes “real life” so real? So, instead, I’m going to follow what God has asked me to do and “not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow can worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34) and instead I’m going to “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to me as well” (Matthew 6:33)*** So basically, I want to follow God’s leading, even if His ways may seem unconventional. And right now, what I’m hearing from Him is to live in the moment, love the life I have right here and now, don’t let my mind be cluttered with the future, it’ll happen in time, I just need to trust Him. Sure, it’s hard, it’s scary, but, if He had told me what His plans are for after Focus, I know myself well enough to know that I would be constantly thinking about that, rather then getting everything I can out of the here and now. This is the dream, don’t waste it.

Anyways, I’m super tired, the salad of no sleep, constant driving, stress from getting here, unpacking, meeting 50 new people, high altitude, little oxygen, time difference, and about a zillion other ingredients has me whipped! But just real quick, my apartment is on the third floor with the most fantastic view of Pikes Peak (also, where the sun sets) which I can view from our balcony. I’m on the top bunk (I figure the higher the better right? :-) and Emily is my roomie, and on the other side of the apartment are Joy and Christine. We have a full kitchen with everything you could want, and Emily even brought a TV and DVD player, so we are set for movie nights :-) classes don’t start till next week (and, much to my dismay, we don’t find out where our internships are till then either :-( but this week is all orienteering and getting to know people. Umm, I don’t think I have much else to say (and my newly made bed is calling my name! though, as I have already warned my roommate, this will probably be the last time it’s made the rest of the semester, oh well!) and my head is super fuzzy, so it’s a glass of water for me and then morning, please take your time in coming! :-)

p.s. guess what! I’m here! Haha, it just doesn’t get old :-)

***p.s.p.s. so just as I was about to post this, I jumped over to Facebook, and one of my friends had posted as her status Isaiah 55. ok, yup, this one applies too! Haha, God thing right there! “for My thoughts are not your thoughts” declares the Lord, “neither are your ways My ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My way higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts….you will go out in joy and be lead forth in peace [aka, don’t worry! Be peaceful!] the mountains and hills [hey! That’s where I am!] will burst into song before you and the trees will clap their hands.” – Isaiah 55:8-9 &12

Ok, NOW goodnight! :-)

2 comments:

  1. So I take it you made it! ;P It's good to hear someone so excited about their future. I'm happy that you are where you want to be and that you are seeking God as you grow and learn. Take care and God bless.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Shley! Hope you survived the fires alright.
    You will "lurve" it in Colorado. I will go home and put on my red shoes (clogs) and dance about, madly, thinking of you. If I'm not too tired. Vee vill see. ;-> Blessings!

    Karen Edie
    nimue57 (LiveJournal)

    ReplyDelete