"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Thursday, June 24, 2010

Crazy Good Nights

Two nights ago marked what I’m going to think of as the real beginning of the summer. Tuesday night, we were gathered in the Quiet Place for staff worship. (the Quiet Place is a building slightly separated from the rest of main camp, it’s where the staff hangs out and counselors have their meetings and nursery kids go during family camps). Every night the staff gets together, it’s our way of ending the day and bringing it all to a close. I love this time so much and on those days when we cant have it I always feel as if my day has been left lacking. I wish you all could experience it, there's nothing more powerful then twenty-five or so young people gathered together to lift up Gods name, singing full out with their whole self, just pure, raw love for God flowing through the room. Every night, no matter what hardships the day held, I walk away from staff worship knowing fully that this is where God wants me to be, and that He is great and is doing great things.
Anyways, I can go on forever about staff worship if you let me, but I wanted to write about this particular one on Tuesday night. We were just getting done singing (I love that moment of silence after the final sounds of voice and guitar fade from the air, it’s like everyone is returning from some place deep in their heads and are surprised to be back) when Alana suggested we take some time as a staff together to share our testimonies of our past year and where God has taken us from last year to now. We had about fifteen minutes before it would be time for our devos in the separate staff dorms, so we figured sure, two or three people can share now, then just finish up some other night, right? Nope. Apparently God had better plans and He was working. Once we got started, there was no stopping, one person shared after another, crazy amazing things that God has done in the past year and how they’ve grown through it. Time was no longer a thought, and after a half hour had passed we decided to forget about devos and continue with where we were. The Spirit was moving and we were not gonna get in the way. Only about a third of us shared that night, but it was so good. Many were crying, not the “oh, well everyone else is crying so I will too” kind of crying. It was genuine, so full of emotion and joy and love for one another that there is no other way to let it out then to cry kind of crying. And, as Alana pointed out, the times we cry together are the times we grow closest, and that is so true.
After we were done sharing, we decided to pray together. In one large circle we joined hands (as we always do when we pray) and had a pop corn style prayer. In that moment, holding hands and just loving one another, we became unified as a staff together. After only a week it’s crazy to already be this close when in past years it’s taken many weeks. God’s doing something crazy up here in da UP!

Soo, one of my dreams is coming true this week! I’m being trained for the Challenge Course!! This means that I will be able to work with campers on the climbing wall, ropes course, and zip line! I’m so super excited for it, I've wanted to be up there ever since they built the thing. :-)
This week we’re working on the training, so now I know all the knots and how to get the ropes up and that kind of thing. I’m also working on the commands, the things I have to say when I’m hooking someone up to the wall or whatever course they’re on. There’s so much I have to say and I’m worried about forgetting something! I’m crazy excited to be done with training and working right with the campers. It’s the BEST!!

Last night the staff made a trip into town for a Wal-Mart run. It’s so funny watching 25 teens stream into the tiny, Marquette Wal-Mart and disperse and run around the store. Since we make up about half the population of the Wal-Mart we’re constantly running into each other and pretending to be finding each other after a long time, “he-ey! I know you!! how do I know you!?” haha, it’s a lot of fun. It’s also amusing watching everyone (the girls especially) get so excited about shopping, even the kind of shopping that this Wal-Mart offers. “oh! I need that! Oh, hey! Lets get that! Whoa! Where’d you find that! I want one!” haha, after a week without a store, it’s like a kid in a candy store with his birthday money. :-D
Anyways, after the shopping spree, we went to see Toy Story 3. We made up just about the whole of the audience and felt no shame in laughing out loud (and louder!) and just enjoying ourselves. After the movie we drove back to camp (singing all the way) and arrived at midnight, just to be reminded that we STILL had to make bags for Hobo breakfast! Oh well, who needs sleep anyways? :-D

Please pray for the hot water heater in the kitchen :-D haha, it keeps breaking and everyday we have to boil gallons or water so we can wash the dishes, it’s a huge hassle and I’m not sure if they know what's wrong with it or not. They’ve been working on it for several days now. Hopefully they get it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment