"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tomato Hearts and Train Rides (Lowville, NY: Sunday & Monday)


Sunday, my final day.

We woke bright and early and went to church, I love experiencing other people’s churches, it gives so much insight to who they are by seeing how their church family has influenced their life. as this was the end of my week, I already knew that Meg has been deeply impacted by her church family, and she in turn impacts them. After the service was over Meg had so many people to talk to, it made me glad to see her running around greeting the old and young alike. :-)

After we got home, we decided to pop in a movie. We’d wanted to watch Sense and Sensibility together, so we decided on that. However, I passed out asleep before we even met Colonel Brandon, and Meg fell asleep soon after, and we both slept right through until the wedding bells rang at the end!

By that time it was getting closer to dinnertime. We had been hoping to get together with a bunch of people for some Ultimate Frisbee followed by a bon fire, but since not many people could make it, we were reduced to me, Meg and Dan, with Auggie and their other friend Tyler.

Auggie and Meg got busy bustling around the kitchen making pizzas, with me and the boys looking on (I offered to help, but they had everything down to such a system, having done this together multiple times, that my assistance was unneeded). So I was deemed official documenter of the cooking.

Though I did amuse myself by chopping up the tops of the tomatoes into tiny pieces, then molding them into an “M” (for Meg) then bringing the bottom together to form a heart. Though then I made the mistake of teasing her by calling her by a nick-name I know bugs her, (which I wont mention here ;-) so I had to sit on her to make her take a picture of my “gift”. :-)

Then I did the same with the tomatoes to form an “A” for Auggie, and turned it into a heart. Then the guys got jealous, so I did the same for a “D” and a “T”.

By this time the pizza’s were ready, so we grabbed our slices (which were wonderfully delicious!) and sat down for another movie. This time the feature was Father of the Bride 2 (the one when both the daughter and mother are pregnant at the same time). It was great fun, us girls talking about being pregnant someday, and the guys talking about how they were so glad they wouldn't be pregnant one day.

After the movie we returned to the kitchen, where Auggie made us root beer floats. Then we hung out until Auggie and Tyler called it a night, after which I was forced to pack and prepair for my departure.

Monday morning came too soon. My phone began to chime too loudly at 5:30. I punched it off and groaned, then rolled over and looked out the window. The guest room faces the east, and I was greeted with a bright, cherry and golden sunrise, as the clouds danced to welcome in the new day. That made it easier to get out of bed.

All too soon, Meg and I were loading my stuff into the truck and hitting the road for the hour or so ride to the train station.

As we got near to the station, we got a little lost, so Meg pulled over into a gas station for directions. Turns out there was a cab driver there who was going to the train station to pick someone up, so he offered to let us follow him! Well ok then. :-)

Shortly, we pulled into the station, and it was time to say goodbye to my dear friend. I gave her a hug and promised to text her to let her know I got to the next station alright, then I hefted my two back packs and my lap top bag and headed into the station.

I’d never ridden a train before, and the first stop was easier then I thought it would be, just bet my ticket, and sit outside and wait for the train to come. It was the Penn station in New York City, where I switched trains and had a two hour layover that I found difficulty.

When we were finalizing our plans of me riding the train a few months ago, Meg had said “I’m kind of jealous, I’ve never ridden a train, but it seems like it’d be romantic.” However, when I texted her to let her know I’d made it, I said “note to self, Penn station is anything but romantic! But I found a Tim Hortins here, so I’m happy.” The place was chaos in a bottle! People everywhere, all with multiple pieces of luggage, going everywhere and nowhere. There was nowhere to sit except the floor, and nothing you could do about your luggage but haul it around wherever you went (which made the line in the bathroom interesting). I had two backpacks with me, one very large one with all my clothes (because I was unable to find a duffle when I was packing), and another smaller one, in which I had managed to fit a gallon container of maple syrup given to me by Meg's mom (which I had to get home, it’s my moms favorite! But goodness was it heavy!) Plus my laptop bag which had my less then small laptop, and rather clunky camera! Another note to self, I will never again travel by train or plane without first investing in a suitcase on wheels.

But as I was wondering around, trying to find some floor where I could wait while keeping an eye out on the departures board to be notified what track my train would load from (because they didn’t tell you until about five minutes before departure!) I walked past a Tim Hortins! Ok, Timmy’s is my favorite coffee place, their iced capps are my number one stress food, and they don’t have them in Maryland. I stood looking at the shop for a second, thinking if it was worth it, since I knew it’d be more expensive here. But then I decided it was worth it. So I plunked my money down and found peace in a cup (though I have to admit, it was the worst iced cap I’ve ever had, just not the same quality. But it still did its job.) Then I sat myself down in view of the boards, and waited, taking in the view and watching the people.

Finally, the track was announced and I joined the throng of passengers as we shuffled down the stairs and to the platform.

On the train I found a window seat, and got settled in. I opened my laptop and popped in my favorite Disney movie, Tangled, and watched New York slip away.

Two hours later the Aberdeen stop was announced, and I shuffled off the train into good old Maryland humidity.

My grand trip was over, I had such a wonderful and relaxing time with Meg and her friends and family. I loved not only seeing Meg's life from her eyes, but living it as well! There’s so much I learned about her that I never could have known without seeing her home. And it was wonderful to be able to put faces to the names she’s talked about. And to be called “Shley” not only by friends, but by strangers and adults!

Thank you Meg, for so many smiles and memories, I will cherish them always.

Ok, your turn! When are you coming to stay a week with me after I get back to Michigan? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment