"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ferris Wheels and Photo Shoots (Lowville, NY: Saturday)



Both Meg and I enjoy photography. One of our fondest memories at FLI was a photo adventure six of us students took to Bishops Castle. So, it was in the plans that some time that week, we have a photo shoot session around Meg's property. So, we got up early Saturday morning (early to avoid the heat and humidity as much as we could) and made ourselves pretty, armed ourselves with our cameras and headed out. A few hours and a couple hundred pictures later, we headed back in to load our spoils.

After that we headed back for the last day at the fair. We watched Dan show a few times, then we headed to the pavilion to see if Meg's friend Auggie was working at her family’s booth. The corner of the pavilion was completely taken over by Auggie’s family. They had a wonderful set up, a couple of fans and a couch, I think they had more people just hanging out and keeping cool then actual business! It was fun.

After we’d spent quite awhile collapsed on the couch in front of the fan, we finally pulled ourselves up to venture out again. The first day Meg had pointed out that they had maple flavored cotton candy, and I’d been wanting some all week. So we went out and I got my sugar, then Auggie and I shared it. it was good! (of course, sugar and me? yes!)

Over the course of the day, Auggie and I discovered that Meg had never ridden a Ferris wheel, so we convinced (slash, forced) her to go with us. Just as the sun was setting we bought our tickets and climbed on board, Lowville from the sky is beautiful!

We had a blast riding around and around, snapping pictures and laughing. All too soon the ride began to slow as we reached the bottom, with sad faces we turned to watch the opporator come within view. But just as we reached the bottom he asked us “would you like a double ride?” as if he had to ask!

After we hopped off the Ferris wheel, thanking the operator, we headed out to explore the fair grounds one last time, with some impromptu photo shooting.

Soon we wondered around a corner and what did I see but a stage with plastic robotic vegetables singing to a row of empty benches! I excitedly ran up and sat myself down on the bench, swaying back and forth to the music. Auggie joined me and we both pulled out our cell phones and waved our lighted screens in the air. All too soon the music stopped and the curtain was drawn. Distraught I looked to Meg, “aw! It’s over already!?” but she assured me not to worry, it would be back in 90 seconds!

So we waited, and waited, and finally the curtain went up and the vegetables started singing about the garden ABC’s once again! I grabbed Meg and Auggie and we danced to the music (much to the amusement of a group of teens gathered near by. When the curtain fell again, we gigglingly grabbed our stuff and headed out.

But the night was not over! We found out that Auggie’s family was getting together to get to know her brothers new girl friend, and if Meg and I wanted, we could tag along. So we did. We talked about baby names and heard the couple’s story from the girlfriend’s point of view, and just had a lot of fun.

Finally, after a long day of laughs and good memories, we headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment