"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Monday, June 27, 2011

Be Green – $ave Green

Recycle. It’s a word I try to avoid because of the negative connotations attached. But truly, I use this idea every day, in ways that excite me even! (who knew?) Coming from a crafty family, my mom, sister and I are wizes at coming up with ways to use the old and “useless” and turn it into something desirable and handy. My sister, Emmy, is creating quite the fashionable wardrobe out of old t-shirts. She cuts them up and sews them back together to create hip and trendy shirts, skirts, bags, scarves, you name it! My mom, the reigning queen of kids crafts is always finding new ways to use scraps to create something easy and cute. Plus, she’s always got a new idea up her sleeve to make life easier (like the pop bottle stink bug catchers!). And then there are my brothers! Do you know the hours they will spend with one simple cardboard box? “This side is a space ship, this side is a race car, this side is an airplane…hey! Pass the markers! I’m going to turn this side into a hot air balloon!”

And of course I can’t forget the inspiration of the children's librarian I used to work under! Marge has the most creative mind when it comes to recycling packaging, bookmarks, Tupperware…I’ve never seen her throw anything out before trying to make it something useful first. And the children's room has become a unique and beautiful place because of her. Whether it’s the paper-chain made of old book marks bordering the whole room, the trash bag filled with packing paper snowman in the corner, or the home made rattles and drums the kids play during story time, every piece of “junk” has a home!

So now I’m thinking, how many things do I recycle without even thinking? Well, for one thing, my closet is busting with all the great finds I discover at all the thrift stores I just cant stay away from. Give me a piece of string and I’m sure to find a use for it. And yeah Mom! I’ll find a use for all the shiny candy wrappers somehow!

So what do you recycle without even realizing it? God created such complex and beautiful imaginations within us, how do you exercise yours? Here’s a fun idea: get a bunch of kids together and throw in a pile of “junk”. Assign the kids with a challenge, to build something useful, or some kind of sculpture (castle, person, replica of a national monument, whatever) then have at it! I’ll bet ya once you let your imagination take off, you’ll be surprised at what you can recycle too!

Also, now that you’re through reading my wise words on the simplicity of being green, please click on this link: http://www.castleink.com/ by clicking you’re helping me save some green and potentially win a scholarship of $2,500! So PLEASE help me and click through, then send it on to all your friends and ask them to click through as well!

(This snowman is made entirely out of recycled items, we also had a spider made out of similar materials that hung in the window at Halloween!)




No comments:

Post a Comment