"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Upon Mt. Olympus (AKA, Greek Koinonia And The First Snow)

“Ashley!! It’s snowing! I’m NOT driving in this!” my roommate Christine proclaimed as she entered our apartment. All day people had been talking bout the coming snow, the southerners all sure we would be snowed in forever and never survive (um, ok, I’m exaggerating, but as a hardened northerner, Michigander no less, seeing people freak out about the chance of snow is comical). But I was sure it wouldn't snow, it was too warm, and all day not a cloud in the sky. My roommate Emily and I had been texting all day as she was at her practicum and I was at the apartment, betting whether it would snow or not. When a small dusting appeared Emily texted me to announce it, to which I replied “that’s not REAL snow!” however, by the time Christine came home from picking Emily up at the end of the day, it had become very much real and thick.
That night was the Greek Koinonia dinner at the Leland’s. Our apartment had decided to dress up as the myth about the golden apple (then the gods were all gathered for a party, but failed to invite Eris, but she showed up anyways, and, since she was a bit of a troublemaker, she held a contest of sorts, a golden apple was offered to the most beautiful goddess. Well, Hara, the wife of Zeus, Aphrodite, goddess of love, and Athena, goddess of war, all thought the apple should go to them, so they all went to ask Paris, a mortal man, who he chose. Well, we the girls of room 1037 all chose one of the four goddesses to recreate, I was Eris and I carried a golden apple, Emily was Hera, with a pomegranate (since we found somewhere online that said she carried one in a lot of art) Christine was Athena with a Nerf gun, and Joy Aphrodite with a red rose.
So, we got all dressed up and I drove us to the Leland’s, excited to be able to drive in snow once again! (snow driving is my favorite!)
The night was a lot of fun, everyone in mismatched togas made of bed sheets, and lots of GREAT Greek food, and “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” playing on the TV downstairs.
Halfway through the night I was talking with Ciera, when Chris came up to as and said “lets go make snow angels!”
“in our togas!?” we asked,
“sure, why not?”
so out we went, we made toga snow angels (yes, barefooted too) and ran around and threw snow at each other until we were forced by the cold to retreat laughingly back into the warm house.
After some more hanging out, a short photo shoot with Hannah as she reenacted the story of the Fall with the golden apple, and the help of Chris and Patrick, I drove Hannah and Patrick home, with so much laughter that I’m surprised we stayed on the road! What started as Patrick being a GPS with about fifty different accents and voices, ended with him and Hannah pretending to be an old married Italian couple, fighting all the way back.
Later that night, as I was “reading” my phone buzzed with a text from Cierra. “SNOWBALL FIGHT! 15 mins” it read. I jumped up excitedly and raced to find my gloves and hat. My roommates watched me skeptically as I dashed around.
I raced over to Ciera’s apartment to wait for her, Meg, Hannah, and Kendra to be ready, we all went down together, only to be attacked as we rounded the corner by Andrew, Dusten and Daniel! What followed was a long, and happy fight, with most of the students showing up at one point or another. Even Kjersten, our RA made an appearance (after we pelted her windows that is) and she offered rounds of hot chocolate at her place whenever we were done, an invitation we of course we happily accepted.





1 comment: