"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Sunday, November 11, 2012

Just Your Typical Saturday


For some people in the world, today was just another Saturday, but in my little corner, it was exceptional! So exceptional in fact, that I kept a list of everything that was good today.



Sleeping In
As all good days should start, this one began with the sunshine streaming though my windows, and my alarm clock turned off. A wonderful start.

Surprise Balloon
After dragging myself out of bed, I joined Amy (my roomie) in the living room where she was watching Grey’s Anatomy (no surprise these days :-). While I was watching, something kept catching my eye in the window, the blinds were closed, but something kept glittering in between the slats. I went outside to see what was out there, and was greeted with two surprises! First, that it was a BEAUTIFUL day!! It seriously felt like spring! June! I ran back inside and demanded Amy come out and feel how lovely it was, and also to see the second surprise, a foil, Happy Birthday balloon had gotten tangled in the bushes!

Writing Notes to Strangers
The two of us excitedly decided to re-launch the balloon, but first we wanted to write a note to whatever stranger re-discovered our little balloon. We wrote: “Dear Stranger! You are beautiful inside and out. And whether your birthday is today or not we hope it’s special! Jesus loves you. Love, Ashley and Amy”.


Launching Balloon
We went outside (running and skipping in my case) and let our balloon go…but it had begun to deflate quite a bit so it took some coaxing and quite awhile for it to actually get more then just a few dozen feet off the ground. But eventually (after a good 15 to 20 minutes!) it was nothing more then a winking speck in the clouds. We watched it until we saw spots and the balloon was far beyond the clouds. I hope someone finds it and that it brings as much happiness to their day as it did to ours!

Roller Bladeing
The day was so, SO pretty, that I had to be out in it, so Amy and I strapped on our roller blades and took a trip around the block.

Swinging
Behind our house is a YMCA, and behind the Y is a swing set, so we swung.

Walking to Forest Hills Foods
After all that excitement, we were hungry. So we walked over to Forest Hills Foods, a very local grocery store (it takes less then 5 minutes to walk there!). It was extra fun because my friend Justin was working, so got to chat with him a bit before we walked home, carrying our goods.

Eating Salad and Watching Grey’s Anatomy
I love salad. Not the biggest fan of Grey’s, but Amy’s been blasting through every season for the past several weeks, so it’s fun to watch them with her :-)

Crazy Busy Work
I had work at 4:00 at Barnes and Nobles. As I climbed the escalator upstairs to the employees room, I was astounded at how many people were there! It was full, like day-before-Christmas full! Apparently there was an author there signing books, a cooperation doing a book drive, a high school club having story time in the kids section, and a scavenger hunt with the mall!

Seeing Friends in Unexpected Places
After clocking in I was weaving my way to the kids section, when I look up and see a whole pack of staff guys! They were here for the weekend and were hanging out in the mall, they didn’t know I worked there, so it was a surprise for us all. After several minutes of visiting and being their personal bookseller (no, I wasn’t goofing off, they actually had book questions). I retreated back to the kids section where it continued to be crazy busy all night long…in a really, really fun way!

More Surprise Balloons
Later on, when everything had calmed down and all the groups had left, I helped Kimmie take down the table that one of the groups, a cooperation that was raising money to support the deaf and hard of hearing community, had been using. The group had left a pile of ear plus, which they had used to promote their book drive, and a few balloons. I asked Kimmie what to do with the ear plugs and balloons, she said just bring the ear plugs down to the information desk, and she didn’t know what to do with the balloons. I asked if I could have them, explaining that the following night was November 11th, and I needed some balloons to launch for wishing! She laughed and said “Sure! They’re yours!” Yay!

Earplugs and The Biebs
Ok, backstory: Friday night, while I was working, I suddenly hear those three familiar notes, da…dada, followed by an all to familiar “whoa-oh-ooh-oh”, and I said to the customer I was with “I didn’t know we played…Bieber!” indeed, J-Biebs himself. Apparently Barnes and Biebs have joined together in some contest thing, and as a result we play his music in our rotation to promote it. well, I loved it, sang along to every song. My co-workers on the other hand…”are you enjoying this?” Ben, the employing manning music that night asked me. “I am LOVING this! It’s so funny!” I said back. “I hate this.” He responded bitterly, “when it came on, part of me died.”
Fast forward back to Saturday. Again, those three notes, and before Bieber could “know you loved me” I was reaching under the kids desk to crank the volume in my section up. Then I ran down stairs, making a stop at the info desk to grab a few packets of the leftover earplugs, and bee lined it to music, where Ben was again working. “Thought you could use these.” I said sweetly. “Well played.” He replied.

The rest of the night was simple, help customers find books, clean up book after customers leave them everywhere.
End of the night finally rolls around, we all clock out and say goodnight, I drive home, happy and carefree, windows down, hair flying.

It was a GOOD day.

And tomorrow is Sunday.
And 11/11
Another good day to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment