"Life is a journey, and I have no clue where it's taking me, but I want to remember it."


Monday, September 12, 2011

This Year is Different

Today I realized something.

For the four semesters I was at community college, I would tape a picture to the cover of my notebook. Each semester a new notebook, but the same picture, laminated and covered in packing tape, tattered around the edges and slightly faded. It was a picture that had hung on my bedroom walls all through high school. It was my motivation. This picture was of several students smiling chilly smiles, dressed head to toe in winter gear. Bold words ran across the picture “Faith can move mountains…come practice with us in the Rockies.” It was an advertisement for Focus on the Family Institute (now Focus Leadership Institute) that I had clipped out of a magazine. It was to remind me.

Everyday, I would think to myself “why am I even here? I hate the teachers, I hate the homework, I’m sick of the foul language spinning around me. Why cant I just quit?” then I would look at my notebook, place my hand on those smiling faces, and remember. In order to achieve my dream and attend the Institute, I had to finish those first two years of college. It was hard, some day’s it really hurt. But I made it.

This year I don’t need a picture of strangers to tape to my notebook, because I have countless pictures and memories of friends, brothers and sisters, to remind me.

This year I don’t need to picture to help me make it though the school year, but I do need the memory to help me continue straight forward, to not only get through the day, but to strive to apply the things I learned about God, myself and others in this new school.

This year I have been equipped.

This year, I begin again.

What pictures will I fill my notebook cover with next?



...and these are just a few...


No comments:

Post a Comment